Social media is a growing component of the web and our everyday lives. Rarely do you meet a person nowadays who does not utilize at least one type of social media site to connect with other people or follow interesting topics. The growth of social media creates the perfect opportunity for companies to reach a large number of consumers. If utilized to its full potential, social media can become an essential marketing tool for a company, organization, group or individual. A big part of this lays in the success of the design.
Trends change often and are big influences in social media and their design. Some upcoming design trends to look out for on social media profiles include:
- larger scale higher quality images. These are eye catching and often display as banners or backgrounds on company profiles. Notice how JetBlue uses one to showcase their airlines on Twitter.
- the expansion of simple line drawings and flat design, often in the form of infographics. Simplicity is where it’s at. It makes things seem more clean and straight forward. Oreo utilizes flat design on their social media.
- improved typography, including bold fonts, unique typefaces and established hierarchy to create stronger statements, like on Eat24’s Twitter.
Check out more creative trends that are predicted to impact the design world on HubSpot Blogs.
Social media is pointless for a company unless they acquire followers and develop a fan-base. A few ways to gain followers are:
- post often and mix it up with images, videos, links, and text. Make sure you take time to respond to your followers as well. People like when a company is engaged in social media and create a conversation with them, like Nature Box did with me and my friend on Twitter!
- use incentives to get them to follow. Create hidden elements that are only visible to followers to make them want to unlock everything you have to say or offer certain deals only to followers. Wendy’s did this a couple years ago through Twitter, asking for follows and participation to unlock special prizes and they found success!
Learn more about obtaining followers on HubSpot Blogs.
Once you have a solid following, you need to constantly engage consumers to keep them interested in what you have to say and what is going on. A couple strategies that have been successful in keeping followers engaged include:
- using pictures in your posts. According to Social Caffeine, photo posts get 53% more likes, 104% more comments, and overall 120% more engagement. Starbucks often posts pictures of their products, gaining thousands of likes, favorites, retweets, and shares.
- launch campaigns via social media. All your followers will see it, share it, comment on it, and spread the word…especially if you specifically ask for their participation and a response. Everyone remember the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?
Read up on more strategies for engaging your followers at Social Media Examiner.
When all of these elements are designed to work together, a company can make a huge impact through social media. Pizza Hut and Sharpie are examples of companies that have found success through well-designed social media accounts that have been utilized to their full potential. They each have millions of likes on Facebook and hundreds of thousands of followers on Twitter. Pizza Hut uses consistent high quality imagery and similar messages across both platforms, reinforcing the brand image. They use humor and play off of trends and hashtags to relate to their fans. Sharpie creates a different feel for each site, but still has consistent elements, like to logo, to make it all relate. They utilize a mixture of videos, images, and fan interaction to engage consumers. Check out their sites below:
Good design can go a long way, even on social media.